iOS : UIWebView deprecation, cookies support

• Hello,

I have a Quasar-based project using Cordova mode to build hybrid app for Android and iOS.

Since end of august, when submitting an app update to the App Store, I get this warning:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs .
    See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview for more information.

☹

I’ve then tried to switch to WKWebView (as suggested everywhere I could search), using cordova-plugin-wkwebview-engine.

However, I couldn’t make it work due to a blocking problem with a cookie-based authentication to a REST API server: cookies were not stored by the app anymore.

😩

Furthermore, it seems that until cordova-ios 6.0 is released, some references to UIWebView will still remain in cordova-ios, which could lead to app rejection by Apple.
    By reading cordova-ios discussions, it’s not even clear if cordova-ios 6.0 will be released before Apple decides to reject submissions referencing UIWebView, since no estimated date is available for both events.

😭

OTOH, Capacitor seems a very interesting option: this blog article from Ionic states:

On September 4th, 2019, the Ionic team shipped a new Capacitor release […] that removed references to UIWebView.

BTW it seems to bring many nice improvements compared to Cordova’s approach.

However, the problem with failing cookie-based auth still remains.

😣

It looks like that I have to adapt the app & its REST API to use a “non-cookie-based” authentication, like JWT.

Is anyone struggling with the same issues?

Is this path (using Capacitor + JWT) a good way to go?

• This post is deleted!