Ok, it now works like a charm using pure Webpack2!
I am using my own script (I really need to learn to handle this), and when I tried to add the
webpack-hot-middleware and from the
hot-reload.js file, but it did not work, but I got some strange errors in the console.
I found the ref to ServerSendEvent i bit odd, as Webpack2 devServer opened up an Websocket, and the web browser wrote all kind of relevant HMR notices (like compiling …) in my client console but no component hot update. So my browser was talking to my webpack debServer, but not any further. I am using vue-loader, and i checked that it also injected the hot reload code, so the middleware in webpack did not work
Then … I discovered my main error here, I was using
webpack-dev-serverversion 1.x … after an update (2.3.x), I got beautiful hot updates, and I was really happy.
The bonus … when updating components, we get all kinds of random strings in the console, but we really just like real names, and I found that adding
new webpack.NamedModulesPlugin() to your webpack plugins, make everything readable again.
Hope this may help someone …