Build for environments other than 'development" and 'production'

• I have a Quasar App that I am trying to deploy through Gitlab CI. I am using three environments:

DEV: Hosted with ‘quasar dev’. Works just fine. NODE_ENV = ‘development’. A-OK
    PROD: Hosted on IIS. Built with ‘quasar build’. Works just fine. NODE_ENV = ‘development’. A-OK
    QA: Hosted on IIS. How to build so I get a NODE_ENV=‘qa’"

I need a third env for ‘QA’.

Ideally quasar would pick this up at run time instead of during the build. However, I am not running it on a NODE server and it is not built on the QA server, but rather on a CI server?

What is the best-practice for managing multiple environments beyond the two default environments support by QUASAR BUILD and QUASAR DEV?

Thanks in advance.

• This feels like a related question. How will we build and DEPLOY both a development and production version of our SPA with 0.15 and it’s CLI.

When deployed our development build/deployment hit our development backend environment, our production build/deployment hit our production backend environment.

We have customized the build process with 0.14.8 successfully to conditionally include a ./config/dev.env.js or ./config/prod.env.js that contains the URL of the related development/production BACKEND environment for the related development or production build.

Here’s the scripts section of our package.json within our 0.14.8 environment:

“scripts”: {
    “dev”: “NODE_ENV=development node build/”,
    “build dist/dev”: “NODE_ENV=development node build/”,
    “build dist/prod”: “NODE_ENV=production node build/”,

So, we (1) build and run the development build locally - this is ‘quasar dev’ with 0.15 (2) build and deploy the development build to our hosting service, and (3) build and deploy a production build to our hosting service - this is ‘quasar build’ with 0.15. In other words, we don’t just want to run the development server locally for testing, we must deploy it so others within our organization/user community can test it before we deploy the production build.

Thanks in advance.

• Admin

Hi, use quasar.conf.js > build > env property:
    Add a property to it then use it in your app instead of looking on NODE_ENV.

build: {
      env: {
         API: process.env.SOMETHING ? JSON.stringify('....') : JSON.stringify('....')

You can then issue “$ SOMETHING=true quasar build …” or “$ quasar build” to differentiate.
    Let me know if this doesn’t makes sense to you.

• @rstoenescu - Thank you sir. Your instructions were perfect. I also used the ‘distDir’ property within the build settings to specify the output folder for dev and production builds. Very nice.

• Ahhhhhh! Much more clever than the goofy hack I devised.

Very good. Thank you.

Looks like your connection to Quasar Framework was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.